This site uses technical, analytics and third-party cookies.
By continuing to browse, you accept the use of cookies.

Preferences cookies

Passports and Identity Documents

In order to have a passport, applicants will have to personally visit the Consulate and lodge the properly completed specific application form, attaching the expired or next to expire passport. In case you never had a passport issued, you will need to have with you proper id, such as an identity card, or driver’s license, or your Australian passport.

You don’t need an appointment to have a new passport. You may come every day, Monday to Friday from 9am until 11:30am.

The online booking system “Prenot@mi” is to be used for different consular services, NOT for PASSPORT

The procedure will also include the scanning of your fingerprints (not for children under 12).

If you are registered with AIRE as a NSW resident and if all documentation is in order, passport will be issued on the same day of application.



Before coming to the Consulate General for the issue of the passport, it is of importance that your consular file is up to date, (address, marital status, birth of children, marriages, divorces, etc.) according to the procedures illustrated on AIRE and CIVIL STATUS the sections.

In case of discrepancies in the consular file, the issue of the passport is suspended until it has been updated.



  • Completed application forms:
  • 1 recent passport picture ONLY FOR CHILDREN UNDER 5 YEARS OF AGE 

The photograph must be:
– no more than 6-months old
– 3.5 x 4.0cm
– be taken with a plain white background
– show you alone (no chair backs, toys or other people visible)
– show you looking directly at the camera with a neutral expression and your mouth closed
– show you facing square on to the camera, not looking over one shoulder (portrait style) or tilted, and showing both edges of your face clearly
– close up of your head and top of your shoulders so that your face takes up 70–80% of the photograph
– be taken with uniform lighting and not show shadows or flash reflections on your face and no red eye
– in sharp focus and clear
– have appropriate brightness and contrast
– of high quality and resolution with no ink marks or creases
– show your skin tones naturally
– show your eyes open and clearly visible—no hair across your eyes
– if you wear glasses the photograph must show your eyes clearly with no flash reflection off the glasses, and no tinted lenses (if possible, avoid heavy frames— wear lighter framed glasses if you have them); also make sure that the frames do not cover any part of your eyes

  • Australian resident visa: “Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO)”, alternatively a “Certificate of evidence of resident status” issued D.I.A.C. (Department of Immigration and Citizenship) if this was issued after 16/08/1992, for those who do not have also acquired the Australian citizenship. Otherwise your Australian passport and the Certificate of naturalization must also be submitted.
  • Passport requested by a parent. According to the new DL n.69 dated June 13th 2023 when a parent of a minor child lodges the application for his/her new passport they won’t need to provide the consent form signed by the other parent. They will only need to sign the passport application form declaring the absence of impediments.
  • Passport requested for a minor. For further information and details regarding the procedure for the consent form please click here

If consent is not given, the Consul General, in his capacity of legal guardian of Italian minors residing in the jurisdiction of the Consulate, after an evaluation of the specific case and following the appropriate investigations, may authorize the issuing of the passport to the applicant by means of a special consular decree.

  • For the Passport application fee and method of payment please refer to the Consular Fees webpage. Payments can be made either via eftpos (debit card only) or in cash.



  • Please report immediately to the NSW Police and make note of the report number;
  • Complete the specific form (Italian Passport Theft/Loss Notification, under the Passport section) for reporting lost/stolen passport and visit the Consulate in person bringing with you another ID document for identification purposes.



If you are abroad in an emergency situation (i.e.: as tourist in transit, you must depart and you lost your passport or had it stolen) and there is no way/time to apply for a new passport, the Consular post may issue an Emergency Travel Document (E.T.D.). This document will allow you only to return to Italy (or to your country of residence).

In order to obtain an ETD you must go to the Consulate in person taking with you the following documentation:

  1. Report form for lost/stolen passport (Italian Passport Theft/Loss Notification, under the Passport section);
  2. 2 photos (these must follow specs above);
  3. Confirmed booking or ticket for the journey;
  4. For the application fee please refer to the Consular Fees page. Payments can be made either via eftpos (debit card only) or in cash.

Please note this document may not be issued during weekends due to office hours (being the office closed), therefore, unless it is a true emergency, the ETD will be issued on the next working day.

Honorary Consulates are not authorized to issue ETDs, but can only forward applications for this purpose to the relevant consular office. The costs involved for sending the application and for the delivery of the document will have to be charged to the applicant.

In order to facilitate your transit at the border do not omit to report the loss/theft of your passport to the local police authorities.

Also remember to keep, in a different location from where the original documents are stored, copies of your most important documents (such as your passport, ID, etc.) so that it will be easier to assist you in case of loss/theft.



Identity Card

Please visit the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation website for general information on Identity Cards renewal.

This Consulate General cannot issue new Identity Cards, which must be requested at the Italian Municipality of A.I.R.E. registration.


Lost/Stolen and Found Identity Cards

In case an Identity Card is lost/stolen the holder should contact the Consular Office competent for the place where it was lost/stolen to verify if it has been found in the meantime.

To withdraw the document the holder can:

  • Personally request it at the Consular Office competent for the place where it has been found;
  • Send a request by mail together with a pre-paid envelope.

In case an ID issued by Consular Offices in Europe reported lost/stolen is found, this Consulate General will inform the holder using the contact details provided to this office. Unclaimed Identity Cards will be destroyed one year after the date they have been found.