Please visit the Italian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade website for general information on Italian Tax File Number.
The individual tax file number (codice fiscale) is an instrument by which to identify persons in their relations with Italian public institutions and ministries and is issued by the Tax Agency (Agenzia delle Entrate). It can be requested from abroad both by Italian and foreigners through the consular office.
The tax number is issued immediately upon application through Fisconline, an on-line service of the Tax Agency, and a card bearing the number is subsequently sent by mail.
This unique code attributed to each person is used when dealing with Government offices or private concerns. It is created using a combination of letters and numbers from the applicant’s name, place and date of birth.
The Consulate General of Italy in Sydney can assign the Italian Tax File Number to NSW residents only. If you’re living outside NSW, please refer to the relevant Consulate in your state of residence or any office of the Agenzia delle Entrate if you’re in Italy.
HOW TO APPLY FOR AN ITALIAN TAX FILE NUMBER
The Italian Tax File Number is issued free of charge. To apply for an Italian Tax File Number you will need to:
- Instructions on how to fill in this form.
- Complete the form (each field must be completed);
- Attach a copy of your birth certificate;
- Attach a copy of current passport and drivers licence bearing the applicant’s address;
- Supply a contact phone number and email address;
- Supply a prepaid envelope for the Tax File Number to be sent to the residence address specified on the application form.
The Italian Tax File Number may be requested either:
By Mail: Please send also a prepaid envelope to receive the Tax File Number
By E-mail: please send email to email@example.com specifying in the subject line “Richiesta Codice Fiscale”