VISA INFORMATION General Information and Step by Step guide
A Schengen Visa allows travel throughout the ・Schengen Area・ on a single visa. The following countries make up the Schengen Area: Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.
NO VISA IS REQUIRED FOR AUSTRALIAN CITIZENS travelling to Italy for tourism, business, mission, invitation, study, or sporting event, WHO INTEND TO STAY FOR UP TO 90 DAYS.
TYPES OF VISAS AVAILABLE
Visas are divided into several categories, depending on the duration and reason of stay, as follows:
- Short stay (up to 90 days) “C” Visas: tourism, business, study, sport, mission, etc.
- Long stay (over 90 days) “D” Visas, also called National Visas: work, working holiday, study, family reasons, elective residency, etc.
Please note that 90 days is the maximum period that can be granted for tourism purposes.
WHERE TO MAKE AN APPLICATION?
The Schengen visa is generally issued by the Consular Representation of the country that will be the main destination for the traveller, or the first port of entry, should the time spent in each country be of the same length.
Each applicant must lodge their own application in person through an interview process. Each interview takes place on appointment ONLY. Appointments can only be booked online only, EXCLUSIVELY through our website booking system. Please note: no earlier appointments are available and all required documentation must be supplied during the interview else the application may not be processed.
WHAT ARE THE VISA REQUIREMENTS?
Visas can be presented at the Consulate of Italy competent for the state of legal residence of the applicant. The Consulate General of Italy in Sydney accepts visa applications lodged by residents of NSW only.
Supporting documentation may vary, depending on which type of visa the applicant is requesting.
The Basic Requirements must be met for all types of visas, however supporting documentation is necessary depending on which type of visa is being requested.
Prior to the appointment, applicants are requested to complete the enclosed checklist, to ensure that all the documentation being presented is correct and complete.
Please note that each visa has specific requirements which are listed on the following website:
- For any specific visa request, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org stating “VISA ENQUIRY” in the subject of your email
- Visa applications cannot be lodged earlier than 90 days from first date of entry in the Schengen Area.
- Special requirements apply to applicants under 18 traveling alone. For further information please contact this Consulate General by email.
- The checklist must be completed, checked and submitted along with the documentation on the day of the appointment.
Follow the useful links below to know more about:
- HOW TO – VISA
- TOURIST VISA DOCUMENTATION CHECKLIST
- CUSTOMS INFORMATION
- TRAVELLER’S CUSTOMS CHARTER (English version)
- CARTA DOGANALE DEL VIAGGIATORE (Italian version)