This site uses cookies to provide a better experience. Continuing navigation accept the use of cookies by us OK

Banns of Marriage


Banns of Marriage

statocivile sApplication for Banns of Marriage must be submitted when the marriage is to take place in Italy or before the Italian Consular authority.

Italian residents in NSW registered with AIRE must apply for the Banns of Marriage to this Consulate General. For Italian citizens residing in Italy – therefore not registered with AIRE – who are in Australia on a temporary basis, the Consulate will have to request the “pubblicazioni di matrimonio” to the Municipality where these persons are resident.


  • Italian citizens registered with AIRE who wish to marry in Italy;
  • Italian citizens not registered with AIRE and only temporarily residing in Australia, unable to wait for their return to Italy to request the Banns of Marriage directly to their Municipality.

PLEASE NOTE: Banns of Marriage are NOT necessary when the marriage will take place before a foreign authority. Therefore if someone marries in Australia, the Banns will not be necessary, it will be sufficient to register the marriage once it has been celebrated (please refer to the "HOW-TO Certificate Registration").

For detailed information on the Banns of Marriage procedure, please refer to the "How-To Banns of Marriage".


The only required formality for non-Australian foreign nationals is to obtain from their Embassy a certificate of no impediment to the marriage. This certificate must then be presented to the Municipality where the marriage will take place. It is therefore important to contact well in advance the Embassy to enquire about the requirements and the time needed for the issuing of this non-impediment certificate.

Australian citizens can obtain the non-impediment certificate from the Australian Embassy in Rome, which requires a document, called ATTO NOTORIO, signed by the interested party and by four witnesses, where it is declared that there are no objections to the marriage pursuant to Articles 85, 86, 89 and 97 of the Italian Civil Code. For details on this procedure please refer to the "How-To Atto Notorio".